POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Twin lens reflex cameras : Twin lens reflex cameras Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Twin lens reflex cameras
From: Florian Pesth
Date: 21 Jul 2009 16:52:19
Message: <4a662a83$1@news.povray.org>
IIRC Darren asked, why a DSLR is called *single* lens reflex camera. Just
today I stumbled across this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_lens_reflex

Apparently the german company inventing this type of camera (or so says
german wikipedia), Rollei, just closed down. In the end they seemed to
make modern middle format cameras. It seems there are not many german
companies around anymore in this business. Ok, there is Leica, but they
are ridiculous expensive. Zeiss is mostly producing for industrial
applications. A lot of companies around Dresden closed down. It seems all
this industry was excelled by japanese companies. I wonder why - I mean I
can name several excellent japanese companies (and I'm very satisfied
with my Nikon D80) but if I would want to buy an excellent german DSLR I
simply couldn't because no one here makes it anymore. The thing is, that
there was a lot of optical industry and know how in germany. Did they
simply slumber it? Anyone know why they lost?